Monday 30 June 2014

Feminism

While scrolling through my tumblr feed yesterday, I came across a post listing several celebrities that did not want to be labeled “feminists” as it promoted female superiority that feminism itself had many negative connotations. Shailene Woodley once in an interview, “I love males too, though! I like to be a feminist, but I’m also a…maleist? What would you call that?”

One of my favourite Ted Talks is by a woman called Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. Last year I watched her talk “We should all be feminists” in history and the reason I enjoyed it was because she brought up the idea of a feminist stereotype. In society, the architypal feminist seems to be a woman who is unmarried and hates men, bras and any form of revealing clothing. If that were true, all feminists would probably look like this.

 
 
 

Firstly, if all feminists hated men that would be sexist, which is exactly what feminism is against. Feminism means equality for all genders regardless of your gender identity.

Secondly, feminists don’t have to be woman. You can support animal rights without being an animal, right?

Lastly, people should be able to dress how they like. Whether you want to wear skinny jeans and long shirts or mini-skirts and crop tops, what you wear only becomes demeaning to your gender when you mean it to be. It isn’t about how you present yourself, it’s about the attitude you present with what you wear.

Don’t be afraid to speak out about equality just because of a stereotype.

izzy

Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s Ted Talk

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment